If you have recently been involved in an car wreck should seek legal representation right away. You may be entitled to compensation for injuries or suffering and auto accident attorneys can help ensure the insurers treat you fairly.
If you have been injured, having an experienced lawyer will make sure your needs are addressed, that you are not ignored, and that the insurance companies treat you with the respect and dignity you deserve.
- Ensure insurance companies treat you fairly
- Receive full compensation you may be entitled to
- Get as swift a resolution as the law permits
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation, reveal 2.24 million people were injured in auto accidents in 2010. In addition, there were 32,885 fatalities due to accidents on America's roads.
Unfortunately these figures indicate that motor vehicle accidents are increasing as drivers become more distracted when driving. Improvements in technology such as rear sensors, braking assistance and other measure have yet to make a significant impact. Cell phones, tablets, smartphones, iPods and even laptops are among the broad variety of distractive devices that are contributory factors to increased accident rates in the US.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 5% of all drivers have been seen using cell phones when driving, and furthermore, over 75 percent admit that they will answer their phones while driving. These figures don't include the increasing number of drivers who use SMS and text while they are driving. TV road safety advertising and billboards along the highways continue to warn people of the dangers.
Laws have been put in place in many States to make use of these devices illegal to use while driving. At this time, the sheer number of different devices is a hindrance to that being an effective deterrent.
Distraction while driving can result in accidents which can have serious and permanent effects on drivers, passengers and innocent victims. Victims can be left injured, disabled and financially destitute after being involved in a collision.
A moment's distraction can result in very significant injuries with lifelong impact. It's not uncommon for accident victims to sustain traumatic brain injury, broken bones, blunt traumas and other injuries. If you sustained a back injury in a collision you should speak with our spinal cord injury lawyer to learn your options right away.
You deserve a lawyer for car accident claims with experience in insurance claims and going to trial, with a litigation track record of winning verdicts and life-changing settlements on behalf of their clients. Your case deserves to be handled by an experienced personal injury law firm with a full staff of knowledgeable paralegals and support administration which can be put to work on your behalf. You deserve the best in legal representation to fight for on your behalf.
- In 2010 there were 32,885 traffic fatalities in the U.S.
- 51 percent of those killed were not wearing a seat belt
- 3,092 fatalities (approx. 10%) were crashes involving distracted drivers
- 31% of all fatalities involved DUI
- There were 5,419,000 auto accidents in 2010 in the U.S.
- California, Florida, and Texas had the most auto accident fatalities in 2010
If you are involved in a vehicle crash, share what happened with your representation - who can explain the critical next steps to take and who will fight to make sure you get what you are entitled to and ensure your rights are upheld.
For those left behind when a loved one is killed, find out how a wrongful death lawsuit may be able to help.
The insurance companies will attempt to bully you so they pay less than they should. Don't let it happen.Review My Case Now
Not all motorist collisions are as simple as "they hit me, therefor they should be responsible". Public roads are a chaotic place, the legal system has built in structures defining how to handle different crash scenarios. In addition to federal tort laws many states have enacted statutes instructing how the courts determine legal fault. Establishing who is at fault can determine how much financial recovery you may be entitled. Both drivers may be partially to blame or you may not have done enough to avoid the accident in question.
Depending on the state your accident occurred the following are important considerations your legal team will help you navigate:
Negligence: When a driver acts in a reckless manner or fails to act in a safe manner (based on a reasonable expectation of behavior in the circumstance). Five elements of negligence outline how things work in a courtroom. Generally in a legal action you will need to be able to prove the existence of these five elements to establish legal negligence in a car accident. The five elements of negligence are Duty, Breach, Harm, Causation, Damages. We discuss these in more detail in our guide to legal negligence.
Liability: The party found to be liable is legally responsible for possible damages and financial recovery in a civil suit.
Statutory Violations: Motorists in a wreck who failed to comply with state regulations are presumed to be negligent in most cases. This means the burden of proof falls upon the driver to establish separate proximate cause resulted in the injury.
Some states recognize a comparative fault system in which a degree of responsibility is established for determining damages. Other states use blame benchmarks to evaluate accountability in a crash. States which recognize contributory negligence laws don't allow for financial damages when both parties are determined to be culpable for the crash. Motorists whose negligent behavior contributed to the accident in question, even if they were the injured party, may be entitled in other scenarios.
As you can see, it can get complicated quickly - the best action is to assess the total cost of all damages and losses resulting from your injury and find representation to help sort out the legal aspects.
The insurers will use every legal trick available to limit their liability. The other drivers involved will have attorneys spinning the events leading up to the crash in their client's favor. Don't make the mistake of thinking legal accountability is straightforward.Review My Case Now
Whether you feel you are at fault or not, it is in your best interests to speak with your injury law representative as quickly as possible after a traffic collision. There are several reasons for this;
- Know from the start what your legal rights are
- Evidence can be obtained while CCTV footage is still available
- Eye-witnesses are more credible and easier to locate the quicker they are questioned
- We can countermeasure any lawsuits filed against you
- Legally speaking, being pro-active improves success rates. Additionally, the time you have to file is limited by the statute of limitations.
- Lawyer representation will make the insurance company and underwriters take you seriously and ensure as swift a resolution as your case deserves.
Even if the insurance company claims you are culpable our accident attorneys can help ensure your side is heard. Regardless of whose at fault or the severity of the damage or injuries sustained, you deserve to be treated with dignity.
If you feel you are being treated with less than the respect than you deserve, your auto accident lawyer make sure your needs aren't ignored.Review My Case Now
After a wreck you can be devastated financially - medical bills alone can easily stretch into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. No crash is small for the participants involved, no injury is minor when you are the one hurt.
Commonly recorded causes of traffic accidents include:
- Failure to obey traffic signals and signs (running red lights, violating four way stops, turning without looking or making a full stop)
- Driving too fast (or too slowly) for road conditions (failing to reduce speed when driving in unsafe conditions)
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Drunk driving and driving under the influence of drugs and other substances (marinjuana use rising, drunk drivers, medications which impair driver response times)
- Rising: Distracted driving (texting, talking on the phone - a number of states have enacted legislation prohibiting texting and driving)
- Reckless or aggressive driving (failing to take reasonable precautions, changing lanes at high speeds )
- Failure to use turn signals (not seeing motorcycle riders, side swiping other motorists, getting rear-ended because of a failure to signal)
- Vehicle malfunctions such as brake failure, lighting faults or a stuck accelerator. (part defects contributing to cause a crash)
Plainly there are many different causes of driving accidents, and many where a driver may not be at fault. Drivers have an obligation to take reasonable action to ensure the safety of other motorists and avoid collisions - defensive driving saves lives. Regardless of who is at fault, the personal injury law firm representing you will fight to ensure you are treated fairly and see you get the treatment you need for recovery.Review My Case Now
There are many different situations and causes that can lead to a motor vehicle collision and the vehicles involved can change your legal options. For example, motorcycle accident attorneys commonly have to fight jury bias against riders.
Some collisions involve just property, resulting only in damage to the cars involved; others result in injuries to drivers and passengers. An injury may also be caused to third parties such as other road users and pedestrians. Inevitably in many cases fatalities occur. About 6 in every thousand incidents will result in a death.
Some of the collision types you may encounter include:
- Lane changing accidents: Can cause other drivers to swerve, hit medians, and collide with other unsuspecting drivers.
- Head on collisions: A significant cause of catastrophic injuries and fatal accidents when vehicles hit each other head on.
- Side impact / Side swipe: A wide range of damage can result along with various injuries associated with getting hit in the side of the vehicle.
- Rear impact / Rear ended: Motorists who are hit in behind commonly suffer whiplash injuries (or worse) and damages to the vehicle can be severe.
- High speed impacts: May result in more severe injuries and loss of life because of the driving speeds involved.
- Rollover accidents: Big-rigs, large trucks and SUV's are susceptible to tipping over and rolling which can result in a heavily damaged vehicle and the potential for serious injuries.
All of these can be very serious events and cause significant to fatal injuries as well as property damage. At the moment of impact, your life can be changed forever. The best accident lawyers know the effects of a serious wreck reach beyond just the victims. Family members, and loved ones are often left to bear the impact and face the challenges to come after the incident.
In cases where the collision is caused by malfunctioning auto parts, incorrect roadway signage, construction and some other situations, the auto manufacturer or the government may be held to blame. When a semi-truck or commercial vehicle is involved, a skilled truck accident attorney can help you navigate the specialized insurance and legal challenges they present.
The best course of action - whatever your view of who is responsible - is to share what happened with your injury lawyer to lay out your law suit options and determine who can be legally held accountable in your case.Review My Case Now
Most of us feel that we are safe drivers and that it’s the other driver that we need to worry about. The truth is that most of us engage in unsafe driving practices at some point, whether answering a cell phone, texting, eating while driving, messing with the Sat-Nav, ignoring posted road signs or driving aggressively. Failing to do so can have tragic consequences to life and limb: you can learn more about common car accident injuries here.
If everyone would strive to be a bit more safety conscious when driving, the number of road accidents and injuries could be dramatically reduced. The reality is that vehicle crashes are an inevitable part of road use.
In addition to learning to drive safely and following traffic laws, signs and signals, there are a few things you can do to reduce the probability of being involved in a motor vehicle crash:
- Maintain a safe driving distance behind other cars. A general rule is to maintain a 3 second gap between you and the car in front of you at all times.
- Make a habit of always using your turn signals.
- Drive at the same speed as the flow of traffic. If you are driving more slowly and someone wants to pass you by, then let them – make it easier for them to pass not more difficult. This helps reduce aggressive driving.
- Follow the speed limit and when conditions are poor (fog, rain, snow, ice) use your best judgment to determine a proper speed.
- Learn to use rearview and side view mirrors to help you judge your turns and lane changes ahead of time.
- Consider enrolling in a defensive driving course to improve your driving skills.
You may be entitled to the recovery of costs, but your counsel will also negotiate with insurance companies to ensure your claims are handled properly and fairly. Common types of claims that may entitle you to damage recovery may include:
- Loss of life
- Personal Injury
- Property damage
- Loss of income (present + future)
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
This is not an exhaustive list, but your accident lawyer will make sure that you are aware of the legal opportunities available to you take for which you may be entitled to under the law.Review My Case Now
When car wrecks occur, there will typically be medical costs, repair costs and your focus after the traumatizing event should be on recovery. The tort laws are there to protect you from liability for these costs when you are not the cause of the crash. If you are not at fault and have been injured or suffered damage, your litigator lawyer will fight to ensure you receive the full compensation you may be entitled, so you can focus on recovery.
Determine How Fault Will Impact Your Claim
Determining legal fault can have a significant impact on what you may be able to recover under the law. State laws differ on defining how fault is to be recognized in court. Your state laws may have provisions defining damage caps under certain circumstances for example. If it is established you were negligent and contributed to your accident in some degree... your damage recovery may depend on it. Learn more about how to determine fault in a car crash and why it matters here.
So How Much Does An Accident Lawyer Charge?
If you qualify your case will be worked on contingency, meaning you pay no up-front attorney fees - nothing out of pocket. A contingency car accident lawyer receives compensation only if your case wins, if they don't win, you pay nothing. Your legal review of what happened is FREE, you are under no obligation to file a lawsuit. Simply share what happened, to learn if you may be entitled to recover financial damages.
If you have been involved in a crash as a driver, passenger, pedestrian or other road user - seeking legal help now can ensure your right to be considered for a compensation claim. When dealing with the insurance companies, make no mistake they, will fight your side of the events - you need a lawyer to FORCE the insurers to play fair..
Are The Accident Attorneys Near Me?
You will be connected with a local lawyer when available, though connecting you with the best counsel available to review your case is prioritized over a local law firm.
Share the details of what happened and a highly-rated lawyer review the details of your accident, explain the tort process and what rules apply in your state. Your representation will be able to walk you through the basics of a lawsuit process, how settlements work, determine what parties may be liable (and accountable) for the harm you suffered. Additionally, you may need to protect yourself against other drivers who may make file a suit against you.
If you have been in a collision, it's vital you act now. Force the insurance companies involved to treat you fairly - get a swift resolution and fight for maximum compensation you are entitled under the accident laws. To get the process under way for yourself or for a loved one, simply fill out a few details using the secure, confidential form below and get your case review today..