Taking during pregnancy, research has revealed a possible link between antidepressants (SSRI's) and Spina Bifida. Drugs such as Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro may have caused your child's congenital injuries.
Share what happened to your baby with our birth defect law firm, you may be eligible to file a Spina Bifida lawsuit over the harm your baby suffered:
- Your legal options clearly, and simply explained
- Potential for significant compensation
- Compassionate legal help, attorneys who care about recovery
Spina bifida is a birth defect that is caused by a malformation of the neural tube. Referred in medical terms as myelomeningocele and occurs when the vertebrae do not form fully, leaving your newborn's spinal cord vertabrae unfused, uncovered and open. It can lead to life-long disability.
- Myelomeningocele - This type of Spina bifida occurs when the vertabrae develop abnormally resulting in a small sac filled with cerebrospinal fluid extending through an opening in the spine. The fluid and tissue contained within the exposed sac is used to protect the spinal cord in a healthy baby. Rupturing of the sac during birth or in the womb can damage the spinal cord and lead to a number of developmental problems.
- Spina bifida occulta - In this instance, the vertabrae of the spine fail to close properly, but the spinal cord and meninges remain where they should and do not protrude from the spine.
- Meningoceles - In this case, the meninges membranes protrudes from the spine bone opening while the spinal cord has developed normally.
There is no known cure at the time of this writing. In some cases surgical treatment to close the split spine of the infant can be performed by doctors while the child is still in the womb or immediately following birth. Children are likely to have physical and even emotional problems for the remainder of their lives, and a lifetime of expensive medical care, procedures and complications.
Birth defect lawyers know intimately, the trauma and impact of the injuries affect the family as well as the victim. A recent study performed by the University of Missouri Disability Policy & Studies office (DPS) determined 60% of those tested with spina bifida were additionally afflicted by some degree of learning disorder.
While it is a congenital birth defect, the links between the use of several drugs during pregnancy, notably SSRI antidepressants and popular anti-epilepsy medications, are being reviewed. Product liability lawyers are investigating claims from families nationwide, reviewing plaintiffs claims that their antidepressant use during pregnancy may have caused their child's injuries.
If you have questions about a potential Spina bifida lawsuit, share how your family was affected now to get the answers you seek.
Some of the drugs currently being investigated by our product liability law firm include: Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Lexapro, all SSRI Antidepressants. If you took any of these medications while pregnant, you may be eligible to file a birth defect suit. You can view more information on SSRI birth injury links visit here.
It has also been alleged the drugs may prevent the neural tube from closing properly, resulting in cases of non-congenital spina bifida as well. The use of these defective drugs may be responsible for your newborn's spina bifida myelomeningocele symptoms. A Spina bifida attorney can't undo the trauma inflicted upon your child, but they may be able to help hold the manufacturers accountable for what happened to your family.
The mother is not to blame. Unfortunately, the closure of the neural tube in the fetus generally occurs between the 23rd and 27th day of pregnancy, a time when many mothers may not realize they have conceived. Women who took the medications during the first trimester of pregnancy and were affected by a birth defect should speak with a law firm about potential litigation for compensation immediately.
If your baby was born with spina bifida, but you are uncertain as to when you last took your medications, share the details of your case with our experienced birth injury lawyers who can help you determine the facts and help get to the bottom of what happened.
Your family deserves an award-winning trial lawyer who cares about you and your recovery, in your corner. You don't have to face this alone, and you may be entitled to significant compensation for what you experienced.Review My Case Now
Here are details of similar litigation filed against the manufacturers over drug injuries:
- Depakote Lawsuit: This is an anti-epilepsy medication which studies have linked to a high incidence of spinal defect births when taken during pregnancy (FDA). Some studies claim that Depakote is ten times more likely to result in neural tube defects when taken by women who are pregnant, in comparison with other anti-epilepsy medications. Other studies claim that 10 percent of the infants born to mothers who use Depakote during pregnancy are born with spina bifida occulta, myelomeningocele, meningoceles or other birth defects. This is compared to a 0.1 percent incidence of spina bifida in the general population. Plaintiffs lawsuits allege the drug maker (Abbott Laboratories) knew about the dangers posed by Depakote when taken by women who were pregnant or who might become pregnant, yet they failed to provide adequate warnings about the potential hazard.
- Tegretol Lawsuit: Another anti-epilepsy drug that studies have shown may increase the risk of spina bifida in babies when taken during pregnancy. The British Medical Journal (BMJ) published a study in 2010 showing that the women who took Tegretol when pregnant were 2.6 times more likely to give birth to an infant with spina bifida than those women who did not take the drug. (Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.) Furthermore, research has shown a 3.3 percent incidence in infants born to mothers who took the drug while pregnant.
- Antidepressant Lawsuit:Antidepressant drugs such as Prozac and Zoloft as well as other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) drugs used in treatment for depression have been under review (FDA) and linked to a possible increased risk of spina bifida in infants when taken by women who are pregnant. SSRI Lawsuits in connection with SSRIs and neural tube defects are currently under review.
See Also: Pending Zofran Litigation
Did you deliver a newborn with child birth defects after taking a medication during pregnancy? Learn if you can recovery financial compensation today, simply fill out the form, share what happened and get answers from a Spina bifida lawyer now.Review My Case Now
Life is precious. Your newborn most certainly did not deserve the pain and suffering it was forced to endure. Pursuing your legal options won't fix your childs condition, it will not cure spina bifida.
However, experienced birth injury litigators know a successful suit is about more than just a large settlement. When this innocent are harmed, justice matters more than ever. Your lawyer can help you hold the responsible accountable for what you experienced.
Additionally, a successful law suit may entitle your family to significant compensation which can provide financial relief and ensure your child gets proper medical care and treatment. Your legal advocate works for your family, and is accountable to you and what is best for your family.
It's well known the pharmaceutical companies have dedicated legal teams of attorneys to make cases like yours go away. Isn't it time you had a legal champion in your corner, fighting on your behalf to guarantee your needs are not ignored?
Share the details of your case with our experienced Spina bifida lawsuit attorneys, there is no cost - the initial legal consultation is free. If after discussing your options you do decide to take legal action, you still pay nothing out of pocket. The law firm will represent you on contingency, meaning you pay no attorney fees unless you win. If you don't win financial recovery, you pay nothing.
Get your legal options, get answers to your questions, and get the justice your family deserves -- share the details of your case today.